Monday, May 10, 2010

Mother's Day Poem


Mother's day to me has become a bittersweet holiday. I am SO happy and thankful to have my little boy and feel blessed to be," Mommy". And at the same time wish I could celebrate the Mommy I once had. I often write to her or talk to her even though I know she can't hear. It makes me feel that we are still talking in some way. So, I went to find a poem or song to help me express my thoughts tonight. I wanted to post something in honor of my mom or my feelings lately... but couldn't quite find it. So, I wrote my own. I am no professional, just a loser who likes poetry...be easy! No booing or banana peels please...


Dear Mom, Don’t Worry

You were my favorite friend

and mother in one,

we were a tight mother/daughter

and then you were gone


Like a cake left undone

Just plain and bitter

No icing to top it

No sprinkles or glitter


My heart had just opened

then it was torn all apart

I didn’t think it possible

To find a new start


Then along came this book

Amidst terrible grief

Foreign words upon paper

My life’s true relief


Stories of a great figure

A man who healed

One who provides comfort

My fate He had sealed


His plan all along

Made clear in my past

It was then that I realized

Life… it just does not last


As you so often told me

“It doesn’t go up with you”

I’ve learned that this life

Is not what’s important or true


The truth is in Him

And the life yet to be

So I will keep waiting

And live to be free


So mom don’t you worry

Don’t dare shed a tear

I have a wee family

And I am happy down here


This book that I reference

It tells of no time

That Heaven is tearless

and truly sublime


So “no time” would mean…

I’m with you right now

So mom don’t you worry

Go have fun, I allow!


Until then, I’m just waiting

And living for Christ

So mom don’t you worry

The cake has been iced!

3 comments:

Elisabeth said...

that is so beautiful Joanne.

Sweet Treats and Baby Feet said...

i second that, perfect! i think you have a talent for poetry that I never knew about:) love you!

osh kosh baloche said...

you know you've succeeded in writing poetry when someone reads your words, and can emphathize with your heart immediately...there are no words to say, just a tearful eye or a nod of the head...well said joanne...your mom would be proud.