Thursday, December 13, 2012

Stopped me in my tracks....

Today was an ordinary day. I woke up to the sound of my little Will yelling. Yes, yelling," R U Mommy??" Every morning. Shortly after, the cries from Kev's room began. And two hungry boys were up. We headed down for breakfast. Jake woke up shortly after and joined us. We listened to music as we ate and there were numerous spills, cries and complaints about what they were eating followed by chats about showing gratefullness, patience and kindness... We did our Jesse Tree and headed off to watch our morning show while we got dressed.  Then, we were off to drop Jaker's off at school.
 Fast forward a few hours and I am back to pick up Jake from school. When I arrive, he is waiting in line to be dismissed from class and he sees me through the glass in the door and smiles. That precious little," Yay, mom is here," smile that I hope never fades. The class left to go out into the main area and we were left to grab his things. He immediately started demanding.... demanding to say goodbye to a little girl. I forget her name at this point, but he was relentless about it. I said," woah buddy... we can say goodbye to her... sure. Let's just get your stuff and we can walk out and say goodbye." He couldn't wait. So, I said," Jake... you have two choices. You can grab your things with me and we can walk out together and say goodbye... or You can go say goodbye and I will meet you out there after I gather your things." He replies by saying," Great idea mom, we will get my things and go say goodbye to her together." "Okay Jake."
We are walking out and he is running back to the main area to find her. He looks all over, she is no where to be found... he looks and looks again. Finally, he noticed the remaining girls were in line for the bathroom. This particular girl was already inside washing her hands. I couldn't even see her because the door was cracked, but from where he was standing he could see her. He was waving like crazy, huge grin, saying goodbye again and again. It was so funny. The teachers aid helping the girls looked at me, we chuckled and I took Jake's hand and we walked out as he swung my arm happily. As I closed the door to his school, I said," So buddy, were you two hanging out a lot today. I have never heard you mention her name before." He thinks for a moment, looks at me dead serious and says," Yeah mom, I think she is the girl I am going to marry." I literally stopped walking... I know drama... but his voice... the way he said it... he sounded so old and it shook me a little. I realized I was being crazy and said," You are huh?" and we kept walking. He said," Yes, I am. She is so smart. She knows EVERYTHING!" Then, we got it in the car to head home for quiet time.

It was a snippit of a moment of my hectic day with three little boys, but it is one of those, "butterfly moments." (Patch Adams Reference- amazing movie) One of those moments that I think God says, "Pause for a sec". I have been so busy lately and stressed and I've had mommy guilt about my boys. Missing our play time terribly and feeling like their needs have been put second to other tasks. This moment made me stop and realize... one day, before I know it... there will be other girls, other than me... that my boys will adore. Who they will want to be with all the time. Who they will call and go to when they are in pain or feel sad and I will be the one in the distance watching with a yearning love that only a mother of a boy understands. I know, crazy long term thoughts. But, it's true. I have these thoughts already. The last wedding I went to was Abby's. I have always been teary at weddings, but since having my boys... I can barely handle the mother/son dances. It's ridiculous. My heart just aches watching them. The lyrics, ugh the lyrics. I love song lyrics. Watching the mother smile at her grown son with such a look of pride. Ugh...

Not too long ago, these boys were just dreams to me. And as always, God's plan for my life were greater than I could have imagined. "Ephesians 3:20 Now to him who is able to do immeasurably more than all we ask or imagine, according to his power that is at work within us."  Jake will be five soon! Will is turning two! Kevin is already one! I just can't handle it. TIME...SLOW...DOWN....PLEASE.... I thank God for the perspective today! Smother Mother is in full effect tomorrow. Perfect timing, no school, HOME DAY!! Yay!! Tomorrow I am going to snuggle those boys until they can't take it anymore!!

No comments: