Saturday, December 29, 2012

Christmas Post Numero Tres

Yet another Christmas post. Being believers in Jesus Christ, I daily feel the need to talk to my kids about Him and make them aware that this world is not what is important. However, Christmas time amplifies my feelings. Our family did the Jesse tree this year, an activity I have wanted to do for some time. It is an advent tree which explains the true story of Christmas. Each morning you hang an ornament on the jesse tree that symbolizes a part of the story and read a passage and scripture to go along with it. I found a great version that is child friendly and also provides an adult version. I felt like Jake understood most of it and I learned a few things too. I wish I could say we did not miss one morning reading... but, I have three very little, needy boys... so we missed a few here and there. Hopefully next year we will get through the whole month without missing one.
Overall, we had a wonderful holiday and were blessed to spend time with much of our family. We had game night Sunday night with just our siblings and Abby's new hubby, Thomas! Then, Christmas Eve was spent with my siblings where we made a big feast in usual fashion and attended church service. This year, as we walked out of church the most beautiful snow was coming down. Jon said," Jake can you believe it is snowing?" He said," Dad... it's Christmas... it always snows." We thought that was just a perfect answer. Christmas morning came and our normal tradition is to wait until everyone is awake...well Jon and I were up FIRST! We couldn't believe it. The boys were not up until 7: 15. I know that is early for some of you... but here at the Sharp house, that is sleeping in! Once they were all up, we crept downstairs to discover our family room was wrapped in wrapping paper(another tradition).  Then, we let the boys bust through! This year, Will was into it too. Jake was so psyched I thought he was going to go through alone, but he waited and held hands with Will. The look on their faces is always priceless to me. We took a look at all the gifts and the empty plate of cookies and carrots, then sat together on the couch to read the last Jesse Tree Reading. Well, we attempted to sit together. Jon read to Jake while Kev was trying to open all the gifts... Will was yelling," Eat Now Mom," and Jake was sitting and listening intently. Then we sand happy birthday to Jesus, a new tradition, and got to the opening! I always love watching Jake open gifts. He is so animated and exited about everything. Will was very into opening too, which was exciting to see. He loved each gift and didn't want to move on to the next. Kev walked around for awhile sitting on laps, opening different gifts and eventually landed in his high chair eating cereal and observing happily. All in all... success! Afterwards, we headed to Jill's for breakfast and then a chill few hours at home. That night Janet had us for dinner which was lovely.
This year in particular, I am thankful for family and quality time. My extended family in Ireland so, I did not grow up with family all around me all the time. However, my parents did an awesome job to create a network of friends for us and it felt like family. I have come to learn that there is something priceless and amazing about a family that grows together. It is so important to me that I know my family. Not, just check in with them occasionally, but know them. I want my children to love each other dearly. To be there for each other always and make a point of just being together. Life moves at a fast pace these days. Maybe it always has, but I constantly feel the need to slow it down and just be. My new year's resolution is to continue to strive to slow it down and be together as much as possible! Here are some pics from the festivities.

Can we just get one nice picture...

alrighty...

Good Enough


 

 

No comments: