Wednesday, July 24, 2013

Sharing rooms.

I have always dreamed of my kids sharing rooms. I have few, but fond memories of sharing a room with my sister. So whenever I pictured it in my mind... I imagined little boys giggling, chatting then falling right to sleep. They also napped happily for long periods of time during the day in my dreams... 

The last few days with the boys sharing a room has been interesting, comical and frustrating. They are definitely loving being together. I have adored listening against the door at their night time pillow talk. So far night time, as far as falling asleep, has been a breeze. Middle of the night has been a different story. The first night they were both up at midnight to " use the potty." My kids never get up n the middle of the night, so It definitely made me question my decision. The second night Will was up for about an hour making noises ( I think trying to wake Jake), But thankfully Jake slept right through it and I ended up putting Will in the crib. Will has given me quite a hard time at nap time too. I just remind him that if he gets out of bed, he will be put back in the baby crib in the spare room and that seems to work. I pray it just keeps getting better and that we have less early morning and night wakings.

 I am not ignorant that there will be problems...There already have been. However, I hope that having conflict Makes them better at conflict resolution and more resilient. I believe resiliency is the best thing you can teach a child. Life is tough. They will struggle. I want them to be able to deal with whatever comes their way...knowing they have God on their side.  I like my kids on a pretty structured schedule, but I want them to flexible too. I also strive to have my kids be great at sharing and giving to others. I think this is a challenge for kids these days... My kids don't , "want" very often or for very long. I'm not saying I get them everything they want. That is certainly not the case, but their needs are always met. They rarely struggle for something... Jake knows that if he wants something that he can just save money and get it. This is good, but not all children in the world have that option. I don't have the ability to travel all over right now with my children showing them how lucky they are, but I want them to feel it and appreciate all that God has given them. They have all they need when they have God, each other and this lovely room to share. They are abundantly blessed. Now let's hope were blessed with more sleep:) 





No comments: