Saturday, April 4, 2009

A day to remember in more ways than one...

As many of you know my mom passed away suddenly when I was 22 years old. This past Thursday marked the 6th year anniversary of her passing. It is simply crazy to think that it has been six years. I try very hard not to focus on that day, but when it rolls around it always hits me. It is kind of funny to say "remember" her because I think of her a thousand times a day still, but I reflect more on days like her birthday, mother's day or the holiday season which she so loved! However, there is something different about April 2nd and there always will be. Every year has gotten a little easier and I have found ways to cope throughout the day. The first year we sent balloons to the sky with messages, but now my family simply makes sure we connect on that day and send each other messages of love and remembrance. As much as six years seems impossible, my life has changed so much. I have graduated college, became a teacher, married Jon, bought my first home and had a baby boy. All of these things my mom and I had discussed many times and we both dreamed of how that would look. It was/is difficult to not have her here with me, but I know it is for a purpose greater than my understanding. I feel lucky to have experienced it, even though that sounds weird. I have grown so much and learned about life early which I am thankful for. I have God in my life now and it has changed my outlook entirely. God is a loving God and a calculated one. He knows what is in store for me and has given me comfort and peace when I need it most. He has shown me so many things about myself and my life in the past six years. I know where my mother is and I know I will be with her again one day. Until then I want to live a life that is honorable and good. I want to focus on happiness and truth. I know what is important and I try each day to be half the mother that she was to me. She has left me some big shoes to fill, but I am trying hard. I know that my time here is short and I am determined to make every minute worth it!

Psalm 34:19
19 A righteous man may have many troubles, but the LORD delivers him from them all.

3 comments:

Sweet Treats and Baby Feet said...

love ya! btw he looks so old in these pics!

one wild and precious life said...

oh,jo, thanks for sharing from your heart. i love the photo of jakey with the bottle...

Amy said...

Such a beautiful post. Thinking of you.