Today was just your typical day over here. We had a fun play date with friends from church and the boys had a lot of fun playing with some buds. After lunch, we headed to the library to check out some new books and movies for the week. Jake was playing with another little boy and I decided to check out while he played. I stood up quickly and felt dizzy... only to realize it wasn't me.. the whole library was shaking. The reference signs were swinging like crazy, the shelves were swaying... it was nuts. The girl behind the counter and I just stared at each other in awe and kind of froze. I turned to check on my boys and there is Jake quiet and calm playing cars and Will is all smiles as usual. They didn't notice a thing. After it was over, I felt like I had just stepped off of a skating rink or something. As I walked outside, Jon called to check on us and confirmed that it was an earthquake and that things were falling off the shelves in his office. I couldn't believe it.
As I drove from the library, I thought about how crazy the experience was. How scared i felt for a few seconds. To not know what to do or what to think...To feel completely out of control of my circumstances... even just for a minute... then instantly I thought,"Wow God. You are amazing. " Sometimes it takes the earth to shake for me to remember that I am not in control of anything. I was also reminded of a little story of a mother and her son that I thought fit the moment perfectly.
One night there was a terrible storm. The rain poured, the hail pounded, the thunder rolled and there was a sudden blast of bright lightening close to the house. A mother awoke and went into check on her son whom she thought she heard crying in fear. When she opened the door, she found her little boy standing inside his window frame with his face against the glass. She said,"Buddy, what are you doing? Are you scared?" Then he said... "What.... I'm saying cheese...Mom you'll never believe it... God just took my picture!"
No comments:
Post a Comment