Friday, February 14, 2014

Perspective

This is one of those more serious posts I do occasionally,,,, sorry no fun pictures for this one. I want my boys to know the good, the bad and the ugly... Lately I have been noticing so many negative and quite judgemental statements being made toward people who,"can't speak English," and live in America.  I've read a ton on Facebook and seen some on blogs too. Then, I was at Target waiting in line and the women in front of me seemed to be struggling a wee bit with the cashier. This immediately caught my attention and I had a hard time focusing on anything else. I noticed quickly the short, impatient attitude of the cashier. Then, as the customer went to pay it was obvious there was a slight language barrier (ignorance barrier on the cashiers part).  I felt sorry for her. It was obvious to me she was trying very hard and from what I could hear doing a great job. Clearly spoke English, but it was not her native tongue and the cashier was annoyingly intimidating. This started getting me upset and thankfully the exchange was quick and the customer went on her way. However, the cashier was not done. She started checking me out and telling me about how frustrated she was that people who live in America have,"some nerve not to at least try and speak English". I clammed up for a few minutes for fear of saying something judgemental  and hot headed Irish.... So I just listened. Then, she said, "ya know?" There it was... My opportunity... I gulped and said," I do know actually. I know that it was hard for that woman to speak to you and it must have been hard on you. So, I think that next time if you were kinder and more patient it would be better for everyone," she stopped talking and I said... "I guess."

I left appalled, disgusted and frustrated with my response. I don't know how to respond well to ignorance. I believe that god calls us to love all people. Especially those in need. I am called to love that ignorant cashier... However, I stuggle with ignorance and find it hard that people can't see outside themselves. However frustrating I find it...I've learned, It's human to not be able to understand someone's life unless you've live it yourself... But I find it very sad that people don't try too more often. 

I think being that my parents were not Americans and the fact that they were considered,"aliens," on their green cards... I've been given a different perspective on the matter. I was fortunate my parents came here legally  and spoke English. They spoke constantly about how great America was and how fortunate we are to be from here. I grew up with a sense of USA pride. I was also lucky to travel outside the US quite a bit. This I took very much for granted! I got to see different walk of life at a young age.

However, I often think about what it would have been like if they came here illegally or if they didn't speak English. They would still be my parents whom I love dearly and I would still be an American. I pay taxes like everyone else and I get that we pay for others. I understand the political stuff, but it just makes me sick. Being judgmental to others is not okay. We are all guilty of it. We judge each other before we even speak. I just wish we could try a little harder to take a second and think... Take a second to think outside our own little lives... I have experienced things in my life (sudden loss, anxiety, fertility issues, marriage, kids, adoption) so these things I find very relatable. However, there are things I cannot relate too. In these circumstances God has shown me to listen, pray for them and support them as best I can.  I pray that my kids see Jon and I trying to be empathetic to others no matter what language they speak. I pray our children see all people as equal and that we are all imperfect. Everyone walks a different walk and everyone has crosses to bare. But... That's just it...Everyone has crosses to bare. When your driving in your car and you stop at a red light... and you see the driver next to you pray that their day goes alright... Speak kindly to the cashier, the waiter and the dry cleaning guy. These are people... Just like you and me. Made in God's image and messing it up everyday. Just being imperfect in an imperfect world. 

Sorry for the soapbox... Not a political person at all.. Just had to get that off my chest...

No comments: