Friday, January 14, 2011

Adjusting to Two

I have a pretty good memory. Most of my memories are of significant events or moments that stirred great emotion. However, I have some random childhood memories that don't seem to have much relevance to my life, but yet are still so vivid and I can't seem to forget them. One memory I have is from my seventh grade co-ed gym class. I was standing in my uncomfortable and ugly gym uniform. My gym teacher was explaining how to juggle scarves in the air and modeling it for us. I have never been much of an athlete and I do not have a single competitive bone in my body. So, I was less than thrilled with the idea of throwing scarves around a cold gym for an hour, but I sucked it up and tried it anyway. I will never forget the frustration I felt when I had finally gotten two scarves down pat and he said okay, "let's try three!" This memory although random... has gained more meaning the last few weeks now that I have two little guys. Prior to Will's arrival, I had two scarves(Jake and Jon) down pat. I was in control and most of the time felt cool, calm and collected. I am starting to adjust to two boys for sure, but there are moments when all my scarves have just hit the ground. It is definitely a juggling act raising a family and being a stay at home mom. I am not complaining, but I guess I never realized just how much energy it takes. From the time I was a little girl, I have wanted to be a mom. When I looked ahead or thought of my future, I pictured myself as the little lady who lived in a shoe, who had so many kids she didn't know what to do! Now... three kids sounds very satisfying to me. I LOVE LOVE LOVE my boys, my husband and my home, but Mommy is tired. The nice thing about the second child, is that I know the lack of sleep is just a stage. I will adjust and as I do, the baby will start to sleep more. Before I know it, Will is going to be three and Jake will be six and I will be home alone with only my thoughts and house chores... For now, I am going to enjoy the juggling! Here are some recent pics. Also, wanted to document some of Jake's newest phrases or thoughts, so I never forget them...

"What is your name?" asks a stranger.... "Jake Sharp!"

"No Mommy.. that's silly.. food's not for babies...it's for Mommy's and Daddy's and Jakey's"

"GeGoGaGo...says Jake. "Now, you say it Mommy!" Mommy replies,"Okay Jake.. GeGoGaGO?" Jake says," Das right Mommy, I am so proud of you!"

As we are mixing brownies... We were counting to 30 and we got to 27, 28, 29... I paused to see if he knew 30 and he said 20 10. So smart!

While playing trains with himself,"Come on Thomas!" "Okay Percy... I love you very much!"

We have been reading about the human body and Jake is particularly interested in their digestive system (boys)... He now explains what happens when you eat "In my mouth, down my fwoat, in my chest, to my stomach and my intesties then I POOP it out!!"

Picking Jake up from preschool and I see a new little girl I didn't recognize. I ask him on the way out if he has a new friend in class now. "Yes, Mommy. Their names are Mary and Joseph." Come to find out he does have a new little girl in his class and her name is Mary. Think he confused all the Christmas messages... so cute

Jake and I were lucky to get some alone time and go sledding! He LOVED it. He kept watching the,"big kids," sled and wanted to ride just like they did. So sweet.

1 comment:

Sweet Treats and Baby Feet said...

such a sweet entry. that pic of you and jake in the snow hats...you look like twins! love you