I love meeting new people. I especially love when an everyday conversation ends up," wow-ing" me. I am the annoying person who starts talking to you when your in line, or your stretching at the gym, waiting for your car at the wash..elevator...pretty much anytime you probably want to have a minute and just be... I will start talking to you. Annoying I'm sure. I guess I don't do well with silence. The benefit of this highly annoying trait of mine is that I meet some pretty interesting characters. A few weeks ago, I was with Kev waiting for my oil to be changed when a friendly older woman sits next to me. Jackpot! Instant chat partner. I don't remember how our convo started, but it went from babies, grandmothers to poetry. I'm sorry poetry? I LOVE poetry and people who write it. So here she is talking about poetry with me and she gives me a poem she wrote for grandmother's. Instantly...think of mom... But kept chatting. I read it, compliment her and then ask her how long she has been writing. Here is the wow moment... She starts sharing her testimony of how she found God and how He changed her life! Amazing...Turns out, she was in a terrible car accident in the 80's. She lost both legs and they told her it was amazing that she is alive and that she would not ever walk again. She was alone in the hospital that night and feeling hopeless, lifeless and felt she no longer had purpose. It was then she heard the wind blow and God say...write! So she wrote her first poem that night. She just knew that this was her new purpose to spread His love and her story of how He saved her through poetry! I was speechless. I told her I too believed in God and thanked her for sharing with me. She gave me a copy of her first poem...which she carries in her purse and off she went. I'm sure I will never see her again, but I know I was meant to sit next to her and chat. I have always been wow'd by people who confidently share what they believe in or hold dear. I love how she has such strong faith. I love how she has the guts to share it with a stranger because she believes that's what God intends for her to do. I'm glad I met you dear stranger...as I always say... Strangers are just friends you haven't met yet! Oh and by the way...she has prostetic legs, had to learn to crawl and walk again and by the grace of God did it!
Here is the poem:
"Wind Song" by Sandy Hanna
"Praise You Oh Lord"
for this bright new day...
May it exult You
in every way!
The songs from the wind
as it travels through earth;
seem to hum a sweet melody,
expressing rebirth.
And the valleys and mountains,
chime their soft encore...
of peace here on Earth,
and of love ever more.
May we here and rejoice
as we travel through life,
and blend in great harmony,
to God's will, free from strife...
And while trumpets blow loudly
and flutes soft and mellow...
We shall join in the song,
as sweet air through a bellow...
Humming and Praising
each step of the way,
our Lord and saviour...
who is with us each day.
No comments:
Post a Comment