Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Oveflowing

As I sat in the waiting room of a doctor's office tonight, I scanned a,"Good Housekeeping," magazine. The magazine was filled with advertisements, recipes, home tips and articles written about inspiring women. Women who do it all. Women who have interests and hobbies that make them happy. I put the magazine down after feeling too overwhelmed while reading it. I feel that a lot lately. Overwhelmed by the messages to women these days. Overwhelmed by what we are, "supposed to be." I just can't read it some days.

I have a whole lot of life going on in my house these days. Three very busy little boys who need my love,  care and attention all day long. A hard working husband who also needs me daily and whom I want to support. A house that somehow gets dirty the second after I clean it. A body that somehow continues to age, even though in my mind I am still twenty years old. A calendar that continues to fill up, despite my desires for us to be home and together as much as possible. And hungry belly's that never seem to stop feeling hunger! It just never ends. Blessings are overflowing in my life... I am not complaining, trust me! It just gets to be too much sometimes... I am tying so hard to daily refocus on what really matters most. My faith, My family, My home.

Although the world would have me believe that this is ridiculous. We live in a ME world. The world would have me believe that I need to have it all and still look beautiful everyday. I need to have weekly girl nights, date nights and daily work out sessions. Everyone is so afraid to, "lose themselves." I am sorry... how do these ladies in the magazines do it?? I am happy if I have showered most days! A successful day to me is when I have showered, put clothes on, played with my kids, taught them a thing or two, cleaned the house, made a nice meal, then spend some time with my kids and husband before bedtime where we say our prayers and read the bible. This makes me feel happy. This is what is important right now. I feel frustrated that the world makes me think this isn't enough. I feel frustrated that some days, I even question it? Yes, sometimes I work out... yes, sometimes I have girl nights... even date nights... sure. But, it is impossible to do it ALL and do it all well. I want to be the best wife and mom I can be while I am lucky to be alive. I want to live for Jesus and be the best version of myself as often as possible. This does not always allow me time for facials, fancy drinks and hours of exercise. If it is in my plan to live a long life... which I hope it is. I am sure I will have time for all of that... but for now, it's just me the mom and wife. Yes, I will do it in Jo fashion and not," lose myself," I am myself... I am a friend, sister, mom, wife and yes a home maker and proud to be one! It's not everyone's cup of tea, but it is mine. I am a lover of life and I am in love with mine and feel blessed to have it. I am happy with who I am . Stop judging me magazine lady!

1 comment:

Bay said...

Is it terrible that I see the "perfect" people & automatically assume that they have enormous character flaws? Yes, it's wrong, but no one can do it "all". ;)