Jake found the playing cards!
Jake with his cuz in the bath
Playing peekaboo with the camera
I am doing a lot of reading about these new found behaviors. I am slowly accepting that Jake may be/is strong willed. I think this can be a wonderful trait and can benefit him later in life, but it is tough right now. I want to be a Godly, loving parent who adores her children for who they are. I also want to discipline when behavior is unacceptable in a way that is consistent and effective. Recenetly, it has been down right challenging. We are learning who is boss over here. Today Jake bit his cousin two times, ME and then threw a HUUGGEE tantrum at Target because he did not want to sit in the shopping cart. (which I have never not let him sit in) These things may sound small to some, but to me they are all new and overwhelming at times. I stuck to my word at Target and forced Jake to sit. He screamed louder than I am capable of. I was totally that mom...but, within 30 seconds he quieted down and sat the rest of the shopping trip. So success??? I guess. I was sweating afterwards because it was so embarrassing to me. I have never really cared what others think, but for some reason moments like that I do. I want them to know that he usually a good boy.I know who cares what these strangers think??? Most of all, I want to make sure Jake knows that I love him more than anything on earth and that I will put aside my own comforts for his best interest. I also want him to be respectful to me and to others. I am trying each day to discipline consistently and hope that I find joy in the little successes along the way. On a lighter note, Jake is still adorable and loves to give kisses and hugs and that always helps!Jack and Jake learning what a clock says
3 comments:
I hear ya! i have been that mom too! It is embarrasing because you feel like everyone is looking at you! Sweating--so true--it is because it is a workout! We had to institute the naughty step and we have used it even when out. so Maddie knows that no matter where we are i will find a place for her to sit. I had to do that at a restaurant--when she decided that throwing food in the air was better than eating it. pick your battles, but stick to your guns. Be firm, consistent, but then when it is done, hug and move on. just my two cents!
I have seen first hand what an amazing job you are doing with Jake. This age is so tough but you are really taking charge of the situations and discipling in a great, loving way. Way to go, super mommy!
Jo, I love the honesty of your post! Isn't it easier on the other side of the conference table! I don't want to be doom and gloom, but this is the first of many! Sometimes we still have this kind of "tantrum" with Steph and she is 20! I have always come back to the fact the children need boundaries. They test boundaries constantly. (Free will that came from God?) They NEED that reassurance that those boundaries are in place. In my humble opinion, children without boundaries grow up not having a solid foundation of what they can and can't do, a blurred vision of right and wrong and an attitude of self entitlement. Not the qualities we are striving for in our kids. I have "been that mom" MANY times and Aidan is a great kid! I hold firm because I LOVE him so much. It is my duty as a parent to TEACH him these behaviors. Children don't come knowing these things the same way my first graders did not come knowing how to read and write. Consistency is the key and is sounds like you have it down. If you are able to be consistent with strangers looking at you, fantastic. I am one of many that would be there cheering you on! I take this part of parenting very seriously because I believe it is so important for Aidan. Hang in there! Everything you do is because you love him so much! (Just my two cents!)
Post a Comment