This past week marked a pivotal time in Jake's life... mission: paci removal. Yes, he is 2 1/2 and still sleeps with a pacifier. Terrible I know... but he LOVES it. For a long time I stressed about it then realized that it was better than the thumb because I could just take it away when I thought he was ready... well he was ready this week. We began talking to him about how we would let paci go. We talked about paci heaven and how we could send them there. He told us he wanted to send them in a rectangle box to the post office. So, we first went on a paci hunt and rounded up all the paci's. Then, sealed the box and wrote a little note. Taped it up... he tried to un- tape it the minute he realized this was actually happening. It was kind of sad actually. He knew what was happening and his little lip curled right up and the tears began. We walked to the mailbox and talked about paci heaven and he put the box in himself. Then, as we walked back up the driveway we explained how proud of him we were and that a present was waiting inside!!! He was psyched... totally forgot about paci.. until bedtime... We did our usual routine. Read books, sang songs then said prayers... then he asked," Paci? Where did paci go?" My heart melted. Here we go I thought. We reexplained the whole story and he cried. We had to go in a few times to calm him down but every time it worked and finally after about 30 minutes he was asleep on his own without paci!! He only woke up once and that is because of his ears. He came out this morning and asked where paci was and we told him and he was fine with it. SUCCESS!!!! I feel so relieved that we don't have to worry about it anymore and happy that he feels good about it. Here is a photo tribute to our beloved paci.... 









1 comment:
Not many things have made me get sad, like putting my son's clothes away that are too small or lowering the crib now that he's able to pull himself up, but getting rid of his paci?? I'm going to be so sad about it!! Glad that Jake is okay with it! I'm going to try this when it's Ryan's turn.
Post a Comment